Bengalurru, going back in time. Late 50's and early 60's

The memories shared in the earlier blogs were endearing and nostalgic. Bengaluru has surely changed and the younger (hep?) generation is very different! 

Bangalore city

"There are two kinds of Bangalore, as far as local tradition goes. There’s British Bangalore – the former cantonment area – and pre-Brit Bangalore. And then there’s new Bangalore; the IT parks and the hep, happening neighbourhoods springing up towards the outskirts of the city." (I borrow this from a blog. Bangalore then and now!)

Reminds me of my college days. Bangalore indeed is a 'tale of two cities'. There surely was a taboo about us visiting cantonment in our homes.  I think it was built into my psyche mostly by my elderly aunts! Doddamma's (mother's elder sisters) did wield a lot of power. There was a fear that we would be spoilt. I had no clue what it meant. Spoiled fruits I could understand. Cubbon Park was the limit for us kids. My cousins visiting from Bombay and I saw a movie, just once, at Opera House! We were dropped and picked up. Our elders were indeed very cautious!  The girls in the family knew the rules, 'get home before dark!' Their scope of activity was indeed limited!

I ventured out to cantonment only in my college days, especially to see  English movies and to borrow books from the British council. Going to Koshy's for dosa or to a bar for beer came much much later and was rare! The bar behind Mayo Hall, Empire Hotel (?) was a kind of ritual. An older cousin would initiate us. I remember being advised to keep the empty beer bottles below the table to make sure we were not overcharged! Unnecessary in my case as I got drunk on beer, so it was always one bottle for me! The fact that my elder sister cried when she got to know I had an occasional a beer also was a deterrent!

Oh yes! Smoking was indeed fashionable those days, a la Dev Anand, the film star. No restrictions anywhere except of course religious places, and anyway we hid this newly acquired habit from our parents. Once I got caught while waiting in a queue to buy a ticket at Rex theater! My father saw me and just walked on! Worried about what was in store for me, I went home and sheepishly went up to meet him at his office room! He was cool and just asked me, 'Can you afford it?' I replied 'Berkeley is cheap!' He said 'It is about your health!"  I was thin those days having suddenly shot-up in height. Though I didn't stop immediately, the message sort of stayed with me. I became an occasional smoker and gave up after getting married! 

(Tara didn't stop me, my budget didn't permit me when Nandini came to our life!)


Each generation has its own style and it is different from one to the other as well, when hormones take over. Talking about it will just look weird for the younger generation! But these memories of my teen years will illustrate better! Once I crossed over to other side where a few girls were standing chatting. I think I was avoiding a calf  or a donkey on the other side. An uncle who was passing by at the same time gave me a lecture on my bad behavior! 

This memory bugs me even now! A girl I grew up with had moved to Mysore. They were back after a few years. One day she wanted to go visiting her relatives at Basavanagudi and I accompanied her. I believe I had told my mother, in any case, she would have no problem! But an aunt saw me and warned my mother that I was going about with girls! 

(Tara enjoyed my blog and suggested it be shared with my grand children. I didn’t anticipate this.  Cantonment was a no-no when we started going out on our own with friends in high schools around sixteen and more. Smoking was later while studying for my Engineering,  eighteen+. Not often, we had a pittance for pocket money! Beer was much later when I started earning a stipend as a trainee in a company. My own earnings and I was 20 plus. Phew, I don’t want this part of my life as an excuse!)

The blog has nice pictures and interesting questions! I borrowed the picture below for  a reason.  https://housing.com/news/bangalore-then-and-now/

My friend Shivu and I used to see movies at the BRV. His guess was that it stood for British Royal Victory. He will be happy to know its correct name now! Anyhow it is back with the army now!

"Bangalore Rifle Volunteers Armoury Building"

"Bangalore – it’s cool, hip urbanism at its best – tall, smart buildings, pubs, a thriving underground music scene, plenty of green, leafy public spaces. But before Bangalore, India’s Silicon Valley, Pub capital of India, Rock capital of India, there was a mud fort, the Vijayanagar Empire and a cantonment. And not much else."

So just how does a tiny city turn cool overnight? Is it IT, is it the rock and roll? Nobody knows, but we can show you just how this happens, in a collection of pictures that show the city’s transformation over time." 

An interesting question and it will be more interesting if we get answers!

Comments

Radha said…
Nice Nidhi mama reading about your teen age. I nearly laughed out loud when I read " Girls have to be back home before dark". That's so ingrained in us even thru the generations. I am still nervous when Tanisha decides to venture out as it starts becoming dark even if it is only to walk the dog 😄
Sapna Balaji said…
Wonderful read. Well articulated. And many restrictions hold on even in the present, not because the parents are narrow minded but because of the safety issues

Loved this part
Tara didn't stop me, my budget didn't permit me when Nandini came to our life
Appegowda Prasanna said…
Good write-up. I thoroughly enjoyed reading especially when you smoked in hiding & going after Girls. My friend used to keep the cap ( put it in a bowl) to count the bottles instead of empty bottles.
Nice recall on Old Bangalore.
👏👏👍👌🙏
Avinash said…
Nice gives clear vision. Something about sports activity?
moorthy said…
Oh, you were a Berkeley smoker too😄 I started with Berkeley and gradusted to Four Square. I didn't wish my sons who were growing up to think it's ok to smoke, which was my trigger to give up. Memories of teenage life are always funny and sometimes embarrassing.
N L Sriram said…
Educative, especially about BRV!
I didn't know that you had ever smoked. Smoking became an issue only later after it was linked to cancer.
A cousin still talks about his father seeing him having a beer and didn't speak to him for months!
Non-vegetarian food was an even bigger taboo,
During the SSLC exams, we studying together went out for a cup of tea to stay awake. My grandmother sent out a sleepy neighbor after us to make sure that I wasn't smoking! He hated this baby-sitting chore!
Also going out with girls was disapproved and led to gossip.
Different era altogether, and even though it seemed intrusive at that time, there was a sense of being watched out for by everyone, miss that in some respects now.
Aruna said…
Nidhi...very nice blog....it is so cool you remember everything
Alka Mathur said…
Ha ha Srinidhi really enjoyed reading about your teen years. What tickled me was that you used to smoke. I can't imagine that knowing you now. And it is amusing how boys and girls seen together used to give an opportunity to people to gossip. They would come on the excuse of being your benefactor to tell tale. Girls having to come back before dark was a irritant I also faced in my childhood making me have arguments with my mom. With Dad there was No way we could open our mouth. 😀 . So are there some more juicy things you have not told. What about how did you meet Tara.
Mohan said…
Nicely written and such a fun to read.. Smoking, Beer at that age "Shaantham paapam" :-) So it was Nandini who sobered you down!! Looks like your Bramhacharya days were more interesting that your Gruhasta days :-)
Jayanthi Shankar said…
Wonderful write up and enjoyed it so much. Strong memory bank juggling and you have brought it out so well. I guess by the time I reached to my teens, things at home got a little more relaxed. All that I recollect is the boys also seniors from my own school playing cricket in the corner of our compound. They would purposely hit the ball into our compound and wanted to come in. My dear grandmother was having raised eyebrows 😄😄😄😄
Kalavathi said…
Wow nice and interesting. Don't know much about Bangalore. So learning about it now. Thanks for the info about urself and Bangalore. I too miss my earlier days in Bombay.
D. Raghunath said…
Yes, you have gone through the usual rites of passage. Probably we had a lighter supervision in New Delhi because there were fewer aunts/elder sisters etc. and the environment was not so restrictive.

Popular Posts