123 years old Kannada-English school dictionary

Tara was sorting out her parents' collection of books, albums and Arti-crafts. An old book fascinated me, the papers  had gone brittle and sadly a few pages of the preface missing. 

The preface does touch upon the authentic feel of a mother's tongue and the unavoidable influence of other languages. I concur with the author while samskrita is elegant, dignified it is also artificial and is fit for rhetoric! (It does put me off when pandits constantly quote Sanskrit. Anyway my feelings are personal and may be another blog to speak about it.)

The inclusion of words from other languages depend on so many factors!We Kannadigas had to cope with a lot of foreign words either adapted or imposed on us as we were often at the receiving end. It is heartening to note that,  Rev. J Bucher and Rev Ferdinand Kittel appreciated Kannada language enough to devote their time for its study.   We do owe a lot to them.

          
I guess Tara’s parents would have used the dictionary during their school time as they moved from Kannada to English. 



The book  also gives us a bit of our colonial history. 
Rev. J Bucher wrote the preface and published this 
dictionary in the year 1899

Great that book is still in demand and is available. It perhaps would have been a few rupees those days! Rev. Bucher gives all the credit to Rev. F Kittel for the dictionary. 

I borrow, courtesy  Wikipedia,  information about this remarkable person. I see that Kannadigas have acknowledged his memory by renaming Austin town as Ferdinand Kittel town. Also have installed a statue on MG Road. Bangalore. 
 




Comments

Kanchen said…
Very cool! Always wondered who the statue was of
Kishen said…
Ramdas will be very happy! Kittel is German!
N K Ramdas said…

Its Dr.Kittel referred to in the interesting old notes.
If I am not mistaken, one of the very famous german Indologist was Helmut von Glasenapp who was also a Sanskrit scholar .

The attention to detail is fascinating.

Not only Kannada influenced by many languages, most European languages have words derived not only from Latin & Greek but also words from their own languages.
I think it's an inevitable natural development.
I find some of the thoughts on Dravidian/Aryan stuff questionable in the notes.
P V. R. Rao said…
Very informative.
Thanks for sharing
G R Raj said…
Fascinating
I have heard his name
My early exposure was to Tamil but thanks to my grandmother I learnt to read Kannada
Ramamani Nagaraj said…
Yes Kittel’s contribution to kannada literature is commendable. Even my grand father had this dictionary with him. I remember I have seen this when I was very young. Your article is very informative. Thank u for sharingšŸ™
Venkat Prahlad said…
Enjoyed the read uncle dear, please keep me posted
Mohan Nagamangala said…
Nice. While Kittel kstatue is in front of Mayo Hall, when I was a part of MICO fine arts society, we had named the road in between the two (then) MICO units as Kittel raste!
N L Sriram said…
I wonder how many Kannadigas will even know what the word "nighantu" is and means, anymore! Google has also probably totally displaced the physical dictionary now. Regarding Samskrita, I recall some play by Rajaratnam, which has the court of Yamadharmaraya conversing in grameen Kannada, and the visitor expresses his surprise. The answer is that Samskrita is used only when bigwigs like Brahma, Vishnu and Maheshwara are visiting, otherwise this is how they speak normally!
Sundeep said…
Very interesting to see Kittel’s passion and engagement
D. Raghunath said…
It is interesting to see another work on codifying an Indian language by a Western author. In the 19th century a number of western persons (mostly missionaries) learnt and studied Indian languages and codified them and wrote up their grammar and lexicon. We owe them a debt.
A V Nagaraj said…
I had seen the dictionary in my friends place while studying in school. The dictionary contains even the villagers talk
Happy Shankaranthi
Tara Kini said…
I first came to know about Kittel on Arun Pai's Bangalore Walks, when we walked down MG Road. We have this dictionary too. Amazing!
I wonder what Anuradha Choudhury would think about about your views on Samskritam!!
Tara Kini

Popular Posts