A reaction to my update on Shirdi

I had posted about the new ways VIPs are treated in Shirdi. Sriram reacted to this news and I thought I will put his comments as a blog! The motives for pilgrimage are many and mostly mystifying to me! But it makes a lot of economic sense. It makes people travel. I believe some go only on pilgrimages. No holidays for them. It helps the local economy. Encourages the culture and traditions of the place.
Does it answers prayers? Hope it does! Does it ensure one an easy transition to heaven? I suppose it does, but not very certain. It is something we cannot verify!
While the scheme possibly handles the VIP issues, it will surely give rise to a larger breed of VVIPs! You can bet on it!
Comments from Sriram:
I see a lot of references to the "paid" darshans at Tirupati, but about the only thing it buys you is that you get to merge with the queue at a more forward point, based on the level of donation.
It is still a free for all near the main sanctum sanctorum
where all these various lines come together, and at that point,
you just get pummeled and pushed towards the single line
going around in front of the deity.

At best you get the darshan for a few seconds
before you are forced to move on.
Of course it is different for VVIPs like the Bachchans,
for whom there are no rules and the temple is probably
closed to the general riff-raff like us!
Things were no different at the Padmavati temple at Tiruchanur,
except that the crowd was somewhat less.
The speakers were blaring continuous announcements in five languages
about the need to safeguard your valuables, so all in all,
it was not a very spiritual experience.

But perhaps that is the point of a pilgrimage -
maintaining focus and single pointed
devotion in the midst of all the various distractions!
I have always enjoyed my visits to the less renowned temples
like our family deity at Chunchanakatte, etc.
They also seem to have impressive Sthala Puranas
and the atmosphere is definitely very serene.
Regards,
Sriram



I saw this online 'Mumbai Mirror'
This blog will interest Shirdi Saibaba devotees!
Lay as well as the wannabe VIP's.
Nidhi

Comments

Prakash said…
Sriram was correct that the donation allows you to reach a more forward point before you merge and you are hustled thereafter to allow a 'darshan' lasting 2-3 seconds at best. You can get forward to the same point without donation provided you can show proof that you are a senior citizen like I did during my recent visit in April.

Prakash
Good for you Prakash! Good advice for us as seniors.

Popular Posts