A walk down the memory lane.

Friends who have been reading my blog suggest that I should send my blogs to the newspapers. They think it is worthy of a wider readership. I feel very encouraged. I did try once without success.

Things I blog about and more are already covered by the papers, the media. There are pictures galore of roads with potholes, garbage. The poor condition of footpaths are featured. There are also scams and shenanigans of the politicians and the underworld. Road accidents and murder. Some accidents which seem to be truly murder. A lot of tragedy and some black comedy.

Mostly frustrating news, but there is also evidence of good times. Cars are sold in record numbers and now there is hope that construction industry may soon come out of its slump. Share market is booming again. Some are getting rich and an Ambani is one of the richest in the world!

In comparison my blogs are mostly personal, often going back in time. Predictably, of no interest to the editors, who have more exciting things to write about.

Here is one more story as I see it:
I took a walk to Srirampuram from Sheshadripuram via the pipe line road. In my youth the pipeline area was actually a slum or was full of low cost, unplanned and probably illegal hovels. This is how it is today.

It could be mistaken for a building on a canal in Venice! But it is on an open sewage drain which has not changed all these 62 years of Independence.

This is on the other side of the drain hoping for better times!
As I near Srirampuram I see this contrast.

The area on which the high rise buildings stand was a textile factory which was closed years ago. A newly built Mall is behind this cluster of highrise buildings and the half kilometre stretch alongside the mall is a traffic nightmare, reminiscent of Bangkok traffic on Sukumivit. Worse as there is continuous honking!

A close up of one of the dwellings facing the highrise apartments.

It was a difficult walk as there was no footpath. Women were washing vessels and clothes right on the pavement. Children were using the footpath as a toilet. I just did not have the heart or the courage to take pictures.

I almost gave up crossing the bridge to enter Srirampuram. You can see the foot bridge on the left!

Feels terrible as these are recent developments. Then I read in papers that the new Mayor of Bengaluru has ambitions to make it an International city! I do not understand what he means by it. I hope he knows what he is talking about.

I keep thinking about our posture, we are like this! Is there any hope that we can change from what we are? Is there someone out there who can begin a process by which we can be a better India in another decade or so? An India we can really be proud!

Comments

Sriram said…
...As an old timer I long for our old sleepy Bangalore!...

I echo those thoughts, miss the old 11 bus route from Malleshwaram to Gandhi Bazaar, and the 1 bus route which ended at Madhavan Park and I had to walk to 3rd block Jayanagar - one could see the Aaney Bandey from there. But some things could use a change, obviously the sewage canal is still going strong, I used to inhale the perfume at least four times a day going back and forth from home to Seshadripuram High School via Link road!
Varsha said…
As long as the construction honchos and politicians are on a mutually "beneficial" financial take, things are not going to change.
Your image of a small dwelling with a tree in front is part of the outskirts of "old" Bangalore, indeed part of many urban environments now that have slowly swallowed up surrounding villages and small communities. These are the original residents and have every right to be there. The human scale of these old dwellings now faces the might of large constructions, altogether jostling for space and somehow trying to coexist. But the breaking down of communities that happens when the large buildings come up adds to the general degradation - of the society as well as the environment.
when I think back about what Baroda was, I consider myself lucky to have grown up in a place that was altogether more wholesome.

Varsha
VATSALA said…
I am not sure you want a 'proud' city. You want a liveable one. See what the proud city - Paris has come to on the issue of retirement age!
I would like to go back to Bangalore of the 1940's when you could walk along the Sala marada raste (now KR Road dug up fpr Namma Metro)
Hi Raghu
Yes 'liveable' is right. Thanks for the right word or the right sentiment!

Popular Posts