Should I try the new 'fast' cure!

After my return from Bangkok I saw that while the opposite pavement was tiled, our side of the pavement was not touched and the workers were nowhere to be seen. I asked my father-in-law about it and he said 'They are not doing it as they say that cars are normally parked there.



Which is true. But so it is everywhere.

A pity as new tiles would have been nice in front of our house!

Notice the level difference to accomadate the gate.

My brilliant idea to eliminate compound walls comes from this.

I was upset to see the pavemnet opposite was being tiled a little ahead, in spite of the cars parked there and the BESCOM transformers ahead.

So when I saw this on TOI, http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bangalore/BBMP-will-review-road-widening/opinions/8958211.cms, I suppose I just had to vent my spleen against BBMP! I wrote a strong letter to the editor and they published it. "Srinidhi: I stay in a so called residential area. Wider roads have become through roads with honking and speeding drivers. Cars are parked in either side of the roads and lanes. New buildings 3 storey high do not have parking space! I wonder why? Foot paths are a joke, uneven in surface, width and non-existent where KEB has installed its equipment. Funniest is that the netas have intiated and have begun tiling these footpaths without doing anything to streamline the footpaths. Tiles are placed over them retaining its original contour and width. My advice is get rid of footpaths in residential areas or just make it 3 feet wide, except in the high density roads! But once it is retained, ensure that it is a footpath and not a parking spot for the owners. If residents do not have parking space, let them break their compound wall. This will atleast ensure they do not hog the whole footpath but will give up 5 feet of the offset in front! Pedestrians crossings are not even a joke, they are dangerous as no vehicle respects them. Pedestrians are no better, they walk anywhere and anyhow! I heard a comment on TV that corruption is in our genes. Apparently there are more genetic faults. TOI is doing its best to write and focus on these issues. But I suspect that it is just a waste of energy and news print! A pity. I suggest a corporator walks and observes for himself how we really are and go on a Fast to improve our behaviour in so many ways!". I guess seeing my name in print cooled me a bit, but I do believe that while the big guys could go on fast on the larger issues, there is room for many more local netas to do good by going on fast on local issues. But I don't know if I go on a fast, whether my demand that our side of the pavement is also tiled and my suggestions are implemented will be accepted? They may probably let me go the way of Sadhu Nigamananad who fasted until death to save Maa Ganga.

Comments

N L Sriram said…
The problem is that the fast becomes a media circus and very few people will remember the main cause with the secondary aspects overshadowing the primary one!


Reminds me of a story by Ra.Shi. in which a chief minister suddenly becomes aware of Purandara Daasa and wants to honor him, only to learn that he has passed away centuries back. But he still wants to do something, and a committee is setup. They find a J.Das and ask him to become a member, thinking that he might be some relation, only to find out that he is Jesudas. Anyway, the committee comes up with various recommendations, but the one that gets accepted unanimously is the installation of a marble statue of the chief minister in the pose of perusing a book of Purandara Daasa compositions!
A good story! Very relevant:-)
marisa said…
good article.....I personally do not believe that fasting is going to help...but it does bring attention to the subject. I think it is better to speak up, write about and keep nagging and bringing up the issues. You may not get a response but if you keep at it...I believe results will show and of course if you have a large group, I do believe it helps. But each country is different....I am not sure that signing petitions in Thailand have any effect.....I believe they are ignored.......
But any action taken does have some sort of an effect....even in small doses...at least you bring the attention to people's eyes who may have been ignoring the road and just sitting back saying "Oh well the government isn't going to do anything." That kind of attitude does not bring about changes.
Thanks and good luck.
Marisa

Popular Posts