Corona Times 2020..01




I have borrowed the title from the cartoon above by Rhea, my granddaughter.
Murali sent me an article by a golfer which can be called as desperate humor.
When I wished I could blog like that, he chucked me a challenge.
"Why don't you Indian style"
Covid 19 is pretty serious.
 I am not sure if my rambling style with a bit of humor will work?

Anyway  read on:
As Corona became worldwide news, we, my golfing friends, took it lightly.
 I feel a golf course is still the safest place to be in.
But experts see it differently and we are locked out!

The last round I played, it feels in a different era,
the fear had already crept in.
Being careful, and to get okay from my wife to play,
I took some liquid soap along with me and asked my caddy
to wash his hands with soap. I had carried a plastic bottle of water
and I poured it for him to wash his hands. He then soaked a cloth
with soap water and wiped the grips of the club.

He then religiously took the golf balls and reverently wiped them
with the wet cloth.
My iyengar friends will understand its significance.
Reminded me of my father reverently cleaning the 'Saligramas'
before offering puja to these symbols of powerful spiritual importance
Very much higher than the reverence we have, say, a new PROV1 golf ball.

This Natural stone saligram signifies Lord Vishnu with his Sudarshan Chakra. It will assist in the protection of house from fiend or demon dangers. 




Comments

CS Murali said…
Agree with you Nidhi that golf course is a safe place to be with the kind of precautions you have described. I suspect that non-golfers will not agree.
Unknown said…
Why only iyengar friends????
Keshi said…
Nidhi/Tara
Indoor tennis, library, swim pool, gym; all locked out. We cannot play outdoors too.
Just great.
Your saligrama humor is good. I am teaching myself Samskrit.
Stay sane, you two. More than anything,
take all precautions. We seniors have to do it.
All the best.
Dai
Vidya Srihari said…
Liked the humorous blog and RHEA's illustration.
I particularly loved the likening of washing of the
SALIGRAMA, held so precious by an Iyengar and the
cleaning of the golf ball equally precious for an
avid golfer.
doreswamy said…
Mentioned iyengars just like that.
Understand others also hold Saligrama in reverence!
Unknown said…
Hi Uncle, Great to see the sketch of your granddaughter.

Very apt title too.

The Covid19 clamp down has made us realize that frugal and simple living would be order of the day, especially as world economy seems to be heading towards recession, job loss, pandemic et al.

Regards,
Sivaraj
Gopi Gopinath said…
Nidhi,i also thought being on a golf course is safe.the courses in our community have instituted a number of changes.of course we have no caddies.Last played four days ago and we were supposed to play this morning, but Rama put her foot down and put an end to my golf for now!
Unknown said…
Hi Nidhi,

I would agree with you that being on the golf course is safe but convincing the family and friends around is difficult.

I think the issue is that you could still be a (virus) carrier and would not want that to be picked up by anyone.

I still go for my walks in my gated community( maintaining safe distance ) as I firmly believe that we should not let the fear rule us.

Stay safe and healthy.

Ramesh SK

Popular Posts