Corona Times 2020..02

SELF QUARANTINE
We returned to Sobha after my game of golf.
Worries had begun to mount about the virus
and the talk of a LOCK DOWN was in the air.
Social distancing was the mantra at that time and it still is.

We reached Sobha and on an impulse, chose self-quarantine.
We didn't realise Lock Down was just a week away.
On our third day of SQ the sub-committee sent us a circular.
Item below irked me, but it was not the time to get irritated.
"Ask senior citizens to stop going out for their routine walks."
We both being seniors I wondered "who will tell who?"
I guess the answer is pretty easy!

This circular put an end to my plans, not yet disclosed, of sneaking out
early in the morning for a quiet walk area next to the crematorium!
(That is another long story Tara has chosen to blank out of her mind!)

Anyway she argued against it. She said I needed to use the lift.
Touch buttons and so on!
I told her that I would climb down, but she didn't want me climbing up 9 floors.
Anyhow not being a morning person I agreed to a total Lock Down.
(I only get up for an early morning tee off! )

Before I realized 12 days had gone by! On that early morning I got a call from the
Pharmacy to tell me that the medicines I had ordered had come.
The Pharmacy was just 150 steps away.
I said I will go as it was an opportunity to get out.
It felt almost like an adventure.....

Tara checked me out and said you need a mask.
We didn't have one, a friend had actually sent us a few masks,
but perhaps the courier was too busy with other deliveries or
it got lost in transit. She made a mask from a large kerchief
and cautioned me not to take it off.

I entered the lift, pressed the button using a folded tissue.
A bit of confusion whether to put the tissue in my pocket. That was a no-no.
I held it gingerly between my fingers and stepped out of the lift.
Being out in the early morning sun and fresh(er) air was exhilarating.
This is how the freedom fighters must have felt as they walked out
free when the British released them. I do not want to speculate on the
new types who are incarcerated due to their misdemeanors while in office.

I got the medicine, took a little time as the pharmacist
 had to figure an alternative to one of the medicines.
There was a bit of distraction as a girl with a real N95 mask walked in.
It was a distraction, not because she was pretty and stylish,
she was violating rules and I was scared she would infringe
on my social distance. Luckily the shop was wide,
and she would have infringed just a few inches.
I guess I should have asked to her to go out, but didn't!

For those who are worried that we two seniors are on our own,
the society we live in has proved to be very helpful and concerned!
They call us to check and offer help..




Comments

Krishnan said…
Very interesting to read!

Popular Posts