What do I do now?

 I am in a quandary. After my second Vaccine shot, I should feel more comfortable going out next week.  We still need to wear a mask, maintain distance. More important I should surely guard against getting upset if a no-mask person crosses my path.  

Just yesterday, I created a scene in a medical store when I saw eight men in that small shop, working close to each other. They wore a mask just for show! What provoked me was that we customers had waited outside the shop maintaining protocol. And there was even a rude poster which stated ‘No mask -No entry’. When it was my turn to go in,  I walked in to a scene of  young men completely breaking the rules which were imposed on us. I asked them to wear mask properly, but none cared.  I threatened to call the police! None bothered.  I had to give up, muttering angrily.  I guess I should have walked out!

We seniors need to practice a weird kind of untouchability. My grandmother did! As a kid I knew I should not to touch my grandmother till her morning routines were done. It was not easy for a kid to remember all the time. So when I forgot the rules, my grandmother would  start all over again, right from having a bath. It seems I am being punished now for my earlier transgressions.  I take a shower as soon as I get home, recalling the various close encounters on the street. I do try best to keep distance, but it is futile to tell others to keep distance. 

I have been staying home last few months for one reason or other.. A little back pain, an oncoming cold. Once as a caution when a function I attended was not at all disciplined.  I chose to self-quarantine.  

It has been a real test. The first three months was total lock-up for us seniors. Then it eased a bit, and gradually it was as if Corona Devi had decided to leave us alone. However it seems ‘more powerful’ avatars of the same Devi took over.  I am consoled, just in case the Devi strikes,  the severity will be not high. I am reminded of mythological stories where an angry Rishi could throw a curse on you with a splash of water on your face.  On pleading for mercy, the Rishi would relent and say ‘I cannot take back the curse, but I will reduce the severity'. I guess that is what the vaccine does.

 Sitting at home is a pain. One can play only so much golf.  IPL doesn’t fit into my idea of cricket. Watching tv is a punishment, especially the cable tv with its anchors and political panel. A waste of time, as people who have sensible ideas are rarely there.

 I keep hearing about how India is okay in spite of being in the top 5 of cases, now it is #1. If we go deeper, we see the major cities have a different story. While the average DPM (Death Per Million) is 125, expected to go up, it is much higher in the cities! Only those cities whose dead are more than 1000 are listed here. 

These cities, with 7% of the National population have contributed to 36 % of the Total deaths.
A smaller percentage of population, clusters of people, have caused the pandemic. 


I am sure many are engaged in finding the right path in these critical times. Their thoughts and guidance will hopefully steer humanity in the way it should! There surely is a need to look at the world, its ways, while one wonders if this will ever happen. Let us be hopeful!






Comments

NSM said…
Use “amma jaan”, order some books. Pickle it with sanitiser for some time / days and then relax with a beer and the book.
Beeru, bookku idre boru hODeyolla.
Sethu said…
Well captured Nidhi. This pandemic is toughest on the elderly (for reasons you have nicely outlined) and the youngsters, because their youth and education is being stolen from them. But as someone nicely suggested, since we can’t do do much more, have a beer, thenkol for accompaniment, curl up with a book or watch all the old movies that you always wanted to watch but never did. Or pick a mindless serial on Netflix that will keep you going for a few binge days and nights
Majority rules😊 Mohan and Sethu will go
by your prescriptions.
It is a pity about children and the restrictions on their
movements.
It is always in my mind.
That is even tougher on children than our plight.
I did think about including them.
It is like rubbing salt on an open mind.
Alka Mathur said…
Thought provoking.
Shanthi Srikanth said…
Acceptance of the newly imposed lifestyle is the need of the day.
Humans are in for a long haul. There doesn't seem to be any point getting
' prepared ' for anything. Each one find one, a new or a renewed interest,
to keep your sanity.
Radha Narsimhan said…
We are also in lock down again.
Have to see how it is carried out.
Nandini Shrinidhi said…
Good blog Appa.
Order your medicines online.
Doesn’t seem worth the risk to go to a store.
Kishen said…
Best advice is to forget all the stats,
don't bother about what other's dont do,
just keep following the norms -
mask and social distancing. 😊
Jayanthi Krishnan said…
Nice blog....we are doing everything according
to our conscious 😀
Sapna Balaji said…
Life has become a big confusion
for most of us🤦🏻‍♀️😢
Jayanthi Shankar said…
Very well expressed and so true.
I guess after the vaccine,
nothing has changed but the fear of what is next has doubled.
Mayura Prahlad said…
Good morning Nidhi. You are right. We have an overload of information.
I have to take my second jab in the next few days.
The latest doing the rounds is upto 8weeks to even 3 months is ok.
D. Raghunath said…
Yes it is certainly disconcerting to see the behaviour of the people around. Some persons respond to the remonstrances but others do not. Personal safety steps need to be taken and hopefully some dent will be made. The principles of passive resistance apply!

Popular Posts